Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole in the Crockpot

I found this recipe at The Country Cook while searching for crockpot recipes and knew my family would like it. I've made a similar dish with ham, hash browns and cream of mushroom soup. I loved that this chicken version didn't require any cream soup. I'll admit, I worried that perhaps it would be dry without the cream soup, but to my great delight, it was perfectly moist. The chicken provided plenty of juices as it cooked.

Here's what you need:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 pkg tater tots
1/2 cup bacon pieces - you can use the precooked stuff like I did or just dice up some cooked bacon slices
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk or heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

In a large, lightly greased crockpot, layer 1/2 the tater tots, then half the bacon pieces and half the cheese.
Layer the chicken pieces over the cheese. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
Repeat the tater tot, bacon and cheese layer. Pour the milk over all.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.

The bacon provides a great deal of flavor and is perfect with the chicken and cheese. The tater tots lose their shape and resemble hash browns, so if you want to substitute hash browns, it would work wonderfully.



20 comments:

  1. Why Yes!! I think that I WILL steal this recipe, thank you! Looks yummy! I may link your post, if you don't mind. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks interesting! I saw that Orgjunkie had it on her menu this week and I think I'm adding it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size package of Tater Tots?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll need a 32-oz package of Tater Tots for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making this for the second time today. Yummy - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how do you think canned chicken would do? would it cook up too much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't provide a whole lot of moisture, so I really don't know. Maybe add a little more milk to make up the difference? Let me know how it turns out if you try it.

      Delete
  7. You've just intrigued my roommates and I for hundreds of dinners to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how long did you leave it in the crockpot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipes says 6 hours. My crockpot cooks a little hot, so it was more like 5 hours for me.

      Delete
  9. Looks yummy!! Was the chicken frozen or thawed??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken is thawed. Only the tater tots are frozen. :)

      Delete
  10. Got the ingredients this afternoon and our crock pot is cooking as I type!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have made this once before and had to search for the recipe so i can make it again, so good!!!
    this time, i am going to put it in tortillas. breakfast burrito!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am making this with tater tots that aren't frozen? Should I stir it?? Lower time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never stir it until it's done cooking. I've never used thawed tater tots, so I don't know how that would affect the cooking time. I might be concerned that the chicken wouldn't be cooked thoroughly with a shorter cooking time. I think I'd start with about a 4 hour cooking time, then check the chicken for doneness.

      Delete
  13. How many servings does this recipe make.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It serves four of us with a little bit left over. So I would say between 4 and 6, depending on how big your servings are.

      Delete
    2. Thanks.! Getting the ingredients right now.! Can't wait to try it..

      Delete
  14. I have made this several times with left over cooked chicken in the oven. Cook at 350 for an hour and done perfectly. Great for busy nights and weekends:)

    ReplyDelete