Thursday, April 5, 2012

Make Your Own Cooking Creme

About a year ago, Kraft came out with a product line of cream-cheese based cooking cremes. Some of the flavors included Italian Cheese and Herb, Santa Fe Blend, and Savory Lemon and Herb. I have to admit, I was tempted to try them. Who wouldn't like creamy dishes with the yummy flavor of cream cheese? Until you read the list of ingredients and see all the preservatives and yucky stuff that have been added.

When I read SnoWhite's great idea for making your own cooking creme, I knew I'd found a great alternative. And I finally put her idea to the test this week. I have to say the results were amazing!

Here's what you need:

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup chicken broth

In a small saucepan, combine the cream cheese and broth. Stir over low heat until the cheese is melted.


Yep, that's it! Two ingredients! Now, you spice it up to match whatever flavor you're looking for.

If you want an Italian flair, add 1 TBSP Italian herbs and a few dashes of grated Parmesan cheese.

For the Southwest flavor, stir in 1 TBSP taco seasoning or a couple of teaspoons of taco sauce. A squeeze of lime juice can finish it off.

Add lemon zest and a TBSP of lemon juice plus some herbs for sauce with a tangy twist.

You can easily match Kraft's flavors with some creative combinations of your own without the extra ingredients that you don't need!

20 comments:

  1. I did try them and although I liked them, I had made some of my own in the past which is what I still do rather than buy them. Sour cream or cream cheese with some different seasonings go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful....I made the Italian. I used some open vegetable broth that I had and lots of herbs from a grinder. I think mine was better then Kraft and I knew exactly what was in it. Thanks.....Thanks.....Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this recipe! We haven't been able to find the Kraft cooking creme anywhere and we love using it in our enchiladas. We used this to make them tonight and they turned out great. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this! My family loves a recipe that used the italian cooking creme but then it disappeared from our store. Thank you for this substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry but I didn't see what uuse to make the Santa few flavored one. Can't find it in any stores where I live. It was the best enchiladas ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opal, try the Southwest flavors above. I think it comes pretty close to the Santa Fe creme. You can add more of the seasonings if you want to, depending on your family's tastes. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Do I still add the chicken broth if I'm doing the southwest flavors? Or just heat the cream cheese and add the taco seasoning?

      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Yes, go ahead and use the chicken broth. It makes the cream cheese thin enough to be saucy.

      Delete
  6. Thank you! Thank you for this! I've been looking for a great tasting substitute and this delivers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks making it today will let u know, I also read use sour cream haven't tried it either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did this but with buttermilk... a really lovely extra tang with none of the extra salt that most chx stock has

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I used to make a skillet dinner using the Sante Fe flavor when we lived in Pennsylvania. Nobody's heard of it in the Pacific NW!! But now I get to make a family favorite tonight, thanks for the recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What do I add for the tomato one? Kraft used to make it and it was an easy skillet lasagna recipe!

    Thx!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that I've ever seen one with tomato. Hmmmm.....maybe add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste when you add the chicken broth?

      Delete
    2. I'll try that. Thank you so much for all the help! I did love those cremes,even though they were expensive. Glad we can still enjoy them, and with less expense. :-)

      Thanks again Marsha!

      Delete
    3. Oh, you're more than welcome! Please let me know how it works out for you.

      Delete
    4. I use jarred spaghetti sauce. I didn't measure it ever. I just added a little bit of the spaghetti sauce at the end after I mixed the cooking creme with my pasta and chicken. This is also good when reheating to keep the food from drying out.

      Delete
  11. does this recipe make the equivalent to what is in one of the philly cooking crème tubs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is roughly the same. It will make 12 oz, about 1 and 1/2 cups.

      Delete
  12. Can anyone tell me how well they keep after being made? Meaning I'll make it now, but use it in the future as needed, especially if I only need a tablespoon or two...

    ReplyDelete