Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Today I turn 40. I don't feel any older, though the gray hair peeking through on my head testifies that I am. I'm not sad about turning 40. In fact, I'm grateful that God has given me this many years of life. I don't mind telling people my age for that reason.
So, to celebrate turning 40, I'm going to share 40 things about myself with you. And since it's my birthday, you'll indulge me, right?
1. I received Christ as my Saviour when I was 12.
2. I'm the middle child. I have two brothers, one older and one younger.
3. I was born in West Virginia and spent the first 26 years of my life there.
4. I've been married to Charles for 11 1/2 years. It keeps getting better.
5. When I was younger, I wanted a large family. I'm happy with the two children God gave me.
6. History was always my favorite subject in school. Math, not so much.
7. My birthday is March 16th, my Mom's is April 16th, my brother's is December 16th. Weird, huh?
8. I play the piano, mainly for my own enjoyment. I want to learn to play the guitar.
9. I am not a big fan of flying. The takeoffs and landings are not fun for me.
10. I always wanted to be a teacher. I have a degree in social studies education with a minor in English. I have taught in 3 different Christian schools. Now I teach my children at home.
11. Every time my husband has me talked into going on a cruise, a disaster at sea occurs - a ship is hit by a rogue wave, an entire ship contracts the norovirus, someone disappears from a cruise ship and is never seen again. I think it would be safer for everyone if I stopped considering a cruise.
12. The last movie I saw at the theater was Leap Year with my best friend Suzanne.
13. I am not a girly girl. I don't like having my nails done, I don't have a huge collection of shoes, and pink rarely shows up in my wardrobe. Shopping does not hold great attraction for me.
14. I met my husband through his mother. She met me, called him up, and told him she had found his future wife. He claims that we met on the Internet because he emailed me at her request before we actually met in person.
15. German shepherd is my favorite breed of dog. My family had a shepherd named Champ when I was growing up. He was the best dog ever.
16. Driving is one of my least favorite things to do.
17. I'm a homebody. I don't have to be out running around to be happy. I'd rather be at home with my family.
18. I eat my steak medium well. And I love A-1 steak sauce.
19. I've never been outside the US, but I've got my passport ready just in case.
20. I've never been farther west than St. Louis.
21. My husband and I honeymooned in Washington DC. I simply adored all the history there!
22. I would love to travel to Europe, but am waiting for a Star Trek-like teleporter to be invented to beam me over, thereby avoiding the long flight.
23. I'm a small-town girl who wouldn't want to live in a big city.
24. I believe in guardian angels. I know that my children's guardian angels work overtime. No doubt they have asked to be reassigned to less rambunctious children.
25. I drink hazelnut creamer in my coffee every morning. I try other flavors occasionally, but I always come back to hazelnut.
26. My least favorite household task is ironing. Thankfully, my husband would rather iron his own clothes. I just throw my wrinkled stuff in the dryer.
27. I do not swim where I can't see the bottom. No lakes, rivers, ponds, or ocean.
28. I generally do not like books that have been made into movies. Or television shows. Charles Ingalls had a beard, people!
29. When I watch football on TV, I yell at the players and officials as if they can hear me. Even the dog gets up and leaves the room. I don't even know I'm doing it most of the time. I just do it.
30. I tear up every time I hear the National Anthem being played or sung. Every single time.
31. I think Dolly Parton's version of "I Will Always Love You" blows Whitney Houston's out of the water.
32. I take a nap almost every Sunday afternoon.
33. Bacon is my favorite pizza topping. So much better than pepperoni.
34. I cannot stand to be late. It stresses me out. I'd rather be 30 minutes early than 1 minute late.
35. As a child, I collected Smurfs. I have no idea where they ended up. Too bad, because I'm sure they'd be worth a little money now.
36. I don't like to talk on the telephone. I'd rather IM or email. Or talk in person to the person I want to talk to.
37. Currently I drive a 2008 Chevy Uplander mini van. It's roomy and comfortable. And it has automatic side doors, which is a plus when my arms are full of groceries.
38. My favorite Disney character is Belle from Beauty and the Beast. She's a reader like me.
39. My hair is starting to turn gray and I really don't care. I'm just not vain about that kind of thing, I guess. My husband doesn't mind, and his opinion is really the only one that matters to me.
40. I love my life. I do. I love my husband, my kids, my extended family, my church, homeschooling, even my silly dog.