Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Berries and Cream Trifle

One reason I enjoy summer is fresh berries. I love strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries....all kinds of berries. This trifle shows off yummy berries to perfection. And it's so easy!

Here's what you'll need:

One angel food cake - I made one from a box
1 box white chocolate pudding mix - you can also use cheesecake, vanilla, or lemon
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cup cold water
2 cups whipped cream
1 pint sliced strawberries
1 pint blueberries

Prepare the angel food cake according to package directions. Okay, I didn't follow the directions. You're supposed to bake this in a tube pan or 2 loaf pans. I knew I'd be cutting this into pieces, so I just used a 9x13 pan. I guess I'm not much of a direction follower! But the cake turned out great anyway. I baked it the night before.

While that is baking, prepare the pudding mixture. Whisk the condensed milk and water together. Then add the pudding mix and whisk for two minutes until it starts to thicken. Let set for another two minutes.


Gently fold in the whipped cream.


Now you're ready to start layering. Cut (or tear like I did) the angel food cake into cubes. Place half of the cubes into a trifle bowl. I got this bowl from Pampered Chef. I love it because it comes with a lid!


Sprinkle with half the blueberries. Make sure to get around the outside well so the berries can be seen from outside the bowl. It's so pretty this way!


Now comes a layer of the pudding mixture. To make sure I didn't get it all over the bowl and ruin my pretty presentation, I put a little of the mixture in a Ziploc bag. I cut off one corner and piped around the edges of the bowl. Then I filled in the rest with a spatula. Yay! No splats against the glass!


Place a layer of strawberries next. I stood some of the strawberries up in the cream mixture right up against the side of the bowl. Then I filled in with more strawberries. It was so delightful to look at!


Repeat a layer of cake cubes, blueberries and pudding mixture. Arrange more strawberries on top in a pretty pattern. I also added a few more blueberries.


This is the final version of what I took to our church's 4th of July picnic. Isn't it beautiful?


This is what I brought home.


I guess everyone liked it!

Use different berry and pudding combinations to change things up. Blackberries and lemon pudding are fantastic together! And who wouldn't like a strawberry and cheesecake pudding combo? The beauty of this trifle is its ease and versatility. Enjoy!

To find more yummy recipes, visit Blessed with Grace's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! I never used to eat whipped cream as a kid but I just hoard the stuff when we get back to the States...and cheesecake lol!

    ReplyDelete