Sunday, July 31, 2011

Not Back to School Blog Hop 2011

Not Back to School Blog Hop

Last year I participated in the Not Back to School Blog Hop hosted by Heart of the Matter Online and had so much fun I decided to do it again! It's always interesting to meet other homeschoolers, find out what curriculum they're using and how they've set up their learning spaces. If you're a homeschooler, hop over there and join the fun!

This week the theme is curriculum. Since my kids are close together in age, we do everything together except math and reading. It's been a great money saver for me to not have to buy separate grade levels for each subject. Not to mention the time it saves me in preparation each day!


We always start off our day with Bible reading and prayer. Our church has a children's ministry that uses the Word of Life Olympian curriculum, so we use their daily devotional book as a guide. It's been rewarding for me to see my children grow spiritually through their devotions.

Next comes math. We use Bob Jones University Press for both kids. Mr. Lego is in Grade 5 and the Princess is in Grade 4. I usually send one of them out of the school room to work independently on something else while I do the math lesson with the other one. That seems to work well for us.

For science we're going to continue using Apologia. This year we're studying anatomy. I can't tell you how excited I am about this! I bought a notebooking journal for each child so I wouldn't have to come up with notebooking activities on my own. The price was well worth the time I would have otherwise spent trying to put notebook stuff together. Yay for premade notebooking journals!

Last year we discovered The Mystery of History. We're starting Volume II this year. The series is written by Linda Hobar, a homeschooling mom. She writes in a very conversational style that is easy to follow and understand. Both kids greatly enjoyed the first volume, as did I.

I'm also going to incorporate some geography into our lessons using Galloping the Globe. This is a unit study approach to learning about the continents and specific countries. I think it will be a fantastic addition to our studies this year.

For language arts, we are continuing with First Language Lessons. We will be finishing up Level 4. The teacher's edition has been so helpful and makes preparation a breeze. I cannot recommend this curriculum highly enough. Both children have greatly benefited from the foundational grammar they have learned.

Last year we started using All About Spelling, a program that I really love. Both children are excelling in spelling. Click on the button on the right sidebar to see what AAS offers. Disclaimer: I am an affiliate of AAS, so I make a little money with each purchase when you click that button. Even if you're not in the market for a new spelling program, it's worth checking out.

I don't use a formal reading curriculum with either child. Once I knew they could read, I let them go! They are free to choose their own books for the most part. I always have the final say. I read aloud to them as well. I ask them questions about what they read, and they give me the equivalent of oral book reports. This year we will probably start written book reports, too.

I also don't use a formal handwriting curriculum. We do copywork and notebooking assignments that give them lots of practice. Many times the copywork goes along with their history or science lesson, so they're getting some great review at the same time!

For art, we're using God and the History of Art by Barry Stebbing. I love that this curriculum combines history and art along with Bible truths. We will probably use this once or twice a week.

So what curriculum are you using this year? And why did you choose it? Does it require a lot of prep work for you? I love hearing the opinions of others on these topics.

25 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting year! We have Galloping the Globe and I'll be using that as a resource in our travels around the world.
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marsha! i'm on the Curriculum Blog Hop, too, and wanted to check out what you are using -- you guys are going ot have a GREAT year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog! Your shelves look full, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great year! My kids are close in age too, and it's nice to see that someone else is teaching their kids pretty much the same things. I can see non-homeschoolers not understanding, but it just makes sense.
    Happy to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. much in common - looks like its going to be a fun year! (I'm so loving MOH 1 & Apologia) !!

    I'm your newest follower - can't wait to pick up some wonderful homeschool nuggets !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I think you all will love Apologia Anatomy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE MOH! We are on our 3rd time through....I am praying she will finish #4 in time to finish up next year!!! Have a blessed year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love First Language Lessons too! Looks like you guys will have a great year :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a well planned out year. I tend to use curriculum that lays everything out for me except for history and science. With those subjects I just drive myself crazy trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to use all the cool resources I've gathered up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great year in the making! Stopping by via HOTM hop. Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower and look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving your plan for this year! We are using FIAR this year so I can do lots of subjects together also. It makes it so much easier! Thanks for sharing your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a nice blog you have, and it looks like you are really organized well for your year! i'm a new reader and i look forward to visiting often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like it will be a great year! We really enjoy FLL, too! Thank you for sharing what you use!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my first year participating in the Curriculum Blog Hop and I am loving reading what works for others and getting great ideas. You are about the tenth person to mention All About Spelling and I am really considering that. How much prep. work is involved for you? How long do the lessons take each day?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm following you from the Not Back-to-School Hop. We will also be doing Apologia Anatomy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stopping by from the blog hop! Sounds like a great year that you have going! I can't wait until my kids are a little older and can do Apologia!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dropping in from the Blog hop. Your year sounds like so very much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! YOu have a fantastic plan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are also doing Apologia's anatomy curriculum for the first time this year -- I bought the notebooking journals (Jr. ed.) also. Can't wait to see how the kids like it!

    Good luck with your year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We just finished Apologia Botany. The notebooking journals are priceless. Did you know Jeanne Fulbright has some pages on her site for free??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like some great choices for a great school year! I keep hearing good things about that history curriculum so that may be something to check out in the future for us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hopped in from NBTS. Looks like a great year planned. I'm thinking of adding Apoligia to our plans, I love their stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! LOVE All About Spelling! We picked Apologia Anatomy this year, too & I'm very excited about the premade notebooks as well, LOL. I'll be back to visit again! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello! I'm stopping by from the Heart of the Matter "not" back to school curriculum blog hop. Looks like you have some great stuff planned!
    www.ireaddoyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete