Friday, May 24, 2013

Cucumber Avocado Dip

For years I didn't like avocados. I had eaten guacamole in a restaurant and it wasn't a very good batch - very bitter and bland. I swore off avocados then and there. But everywhere on food blogs and recipe sites, I found tons of people who loved them. I just didn't get it.

Then I tasted some wonderful guacamole made by a friend and decided to give avocados another try. I'm so glad I did! I love them now and find ways to include them in salads and sandwiches. And dips.

This dip isn't like guacamole. It's cheesy and tangy. And the cucumbers add a taste of freshness that's fantastic! My friend Kris sent me the recipe, but I've tweaked it until she may not recognize it now!

Here's what you need:

2 avocados, pitted and diced
4 oz. cream cheese
1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2  TBSP finely diced onion (this helps keep the avocado from quickly turning brown)
1 teas garlic powder
1/2 teas ground mustard
 salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup finely diced cucumber (this was about 1/2 a large cuke for me)

In a food processor, combine all the ingredients but the cucumber. Process until creamy. Stir in the cucumber. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
 This is the dip before I added the cucumbers. Don't know why I forgot to do this!
A close up of the dip WITH the cucumbers. Very tasty!

1 comment:

  1. That looks so yummy! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete