Saturday, April 4, 2015

Homemade Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

My hubby got an ice cream maker for me last month, so I've been experimenting with recipes to make our own ice cream. I've got to say that homemade ice cream is the bomb! I love being in control of the ingredients, too.

I started by following the recipes in the booklet that came with the machine so I could get a feel for what would work. The basic ratio is 3 cups of liquid (I use 1 cup of whole milk and 2 cups of heavy whipping cream), 1/2 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, and then 1 cup of add-ins like fruit or nuts. Flavorings like vanilla or chocolate can be increased or decreased based on your personal preference.

I've found that using heavy whipping cream makes for a very creamy finished product. Milk does work, and it's cheaper. But cream begets cream. And it's amazing!

So here's the recipe for Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream:

1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
a pinch of salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 TBSP vanilla
15 miniature Reese's peanut butter cups, chopped

Whisk the milk, sugar and salt together until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the whipping cream and vanilla, then add the chopped peanut butter cups.

Freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions.


No comments:

Post a Comment