Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Greek Chicken Pasta

Trying a new dish can always be a tricky thing in our house. I have to take a close look at the ingredients and see which ones I can substitute or leave out all together to satisfy my crew. This recipe required a few changes on my part. The results were delicious.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this - it's all right to play around with a recipe and modify it to suit your family's tastes. I'm generally a rule follower - if the sign in front of WalMart says "no parking," I will not park there under any circumstances. But when it comes to following a recipe, I do take a few liberties. That's okay. I know my family's preferences better than a magazine editor or cookbook author. Why spend the time and money preparing a recipe I know they won't like because of one or two ingredients?

It doesn't offend me in the least if someone changes a recipe I've shared. Just come back and tell me 'cause I might like your version better than mine! Ha ha!

Now on to the Greek Chicken Pasta. Here's what you'll need:

8 oz uncooked pasta - I used bowties because they're pretty
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 large tomato, chopped or 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
1/3 cup white cooking wine or chicken broth
3 TBSP lemon juice
2 teas dried parsley flakes
2 teas dried oregano
sale and pepper to taste
crumbled feta cheese

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain.

While the pasta is cooking, heat some olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes, then add the chicken pieces. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.


Add the tomatoes, white wine, lemon juice and herbs. Stir to coat the chicken.


Stir in the cooked pasta, then season with salt and pepper.


The original recipe called for the feta cheese to be added to the skillet, too. But neither of the kids care for it, so I left it out. I did, however, sprinkle some cheese over my individual serving, as well as hubby's. It added a lovely tang that made the whole dish incredible! Even without the feta, the kids enjoyed it, too.

This recipe is linked to Full Plate Thursday over at Miz Helen's Country Cottage. Stop by there for some more yummy recipes.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Marsha,
    Your Greek Chicken Pasta looks so delicious and I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks terrific. I hope to be able to try it next week:) Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesdays whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this looks lovely. Thanks for sharing, stopping by from Full Plate Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I love feta cheese (even though my hubby doesn't) and will have to make this some night when he's not home for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummyyy it makes me hungry!! I know this is probably totally cheating, but I have a bottle of greek salad dressing with feta in it in my fridge, and I think i might just put that over pasta with some chicken and fresh spinach and maybe some olives. you inspire me. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a YUMMY!!! dish using chicken. Always looking for new recipes for chicken.
    THANKS!!! for stopping by and visiting. Oh and yes you can use your George Foreman Grill. Enjoy and have a Happy Valentine's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete