Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow in Dixie 2014

Well, the forecasters got it wrong and we, not those south of us, got hit with ice and snow yesterday. Since only a "dusting" of snow was predicted, schools and businesses were opened as usual. But when it started snowing and the roads became icy, things got treacherous very quickly! We got 3 inches, which may not seem like much. But when ice becomes a factor, there's no way we're prepared to deal with that.
Our dog, wondering what this fluffy white stuff was
Thousands of motorists have been stranded on the highways since yesterday. But in the midst of all that, I'm hearing stories of generosity and unselfishness that warm my heart. People opening their homes to strangers seeking shelter, businesses staying open to allow people a warm place to rest, ATV owners ferrying stranded travelers to safety. It's heartwarming how communities can come together in times of crisis.

Since we homeschool and my husband works from home, we were already snug and warm at home. So thankful for that! But a flu-like virus struck on Sunday, taking down three family members, one each day. I'm the only one who's been spared, which I attribute to "mom immunity" and lots of handwashing.  The virus has lasted about 48 hours for each patient, so I've only got one "sickie" left. Hopefully by tomorrow, he'll be fever-free.

I've not gotten a thing done this week. My menu plan got changed to chicken soup for every meal. But it's okay. Because we're okay. We're safe and warm and so I'm counting my blessings.
The view from my front door

2 comments:

  1. I hope y'all feel better! This flu season has been nuts! You guys have more snow than we do lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been the craziest winter!

    ReplyDelete