Sunday, November 29, 2009

Apple Spice Cake


If you need an easy dessert, this cake is for you. I had some apple pie filling left over from my Thanksgiving desserts and wanted to use it for something other than pie. I found a couple of recipes that called for a yellow cake mix, but I didn't have one on hand. I did, however, have a spice cake mix. And what goes better together than cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and apples? Ummm, not much! So I thawed the filling and started mixing.

Apple Spice Cake

1 box spice cake mix
3 eggs
1 can apple pie filling (if you're using homemade, use enough for one pie)
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 TBSP butter, melted

Mix cake mix, eggs and pie filling together until well blended and spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Combine the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over the batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.



This was a moist cake but not too sweet. Next time I make it, I'm going to finish it off with a simple powdered sugar/milk glaze. Or maybe I'll leave the nut topping off and use vanilla frosting instead. Both will be fabulous, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment