Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It's the Little Things

More and more as I get older, I realize just how much enjoyment in life comes from the little things. The simple everyday things we take for granted that make our lives easier. Oh, the "big" things like vacations and toys are nice and do bring a certain amount of enjoyment. But these things are fleeting. The vacation ends. The toy breaks. And life goes on.

But what if I couldn't hear? What if I couldn't taste? What if I couldn't walk or move my arms to do simple tasks? How drastically my life would be different without those simple things.

I'm especially thankful for the gift of reading. Some people struggle to learn to read and some never master it. Some people don't like to read even though they have the ability. But I love to read. I have since I was a child. Maybe because reading came easy to me. I read just about anything I could get my hands on. I could travel to faraway places and back in time. I loved books and still do.

Mostly I'm thankful I can read the Bible for myself. I don't have to rely on another person's interpretation. I can read and study, listen to the Holy Spirit, and apply the truths I learn to my life. If I never heard another sermon, I could still dig into Scripture and learn. All because I know how to read.

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of reading!

This post is linked to Heavenly Homemakers' Gratituesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment