Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chicken Taco Filling in the Crockpot

I often cook chicken breasts in my crockpot, then shred them up in my Kitchen Aid mixer. Then I divide the shredded meat up and freeze it for future use in soups, sandwiches and casseroles. It's so convenient to take a bag of cooked chicken out of the freezer and toss it into the soup pot when I need it.

So I thought, why not spice up the chicken a little for specific dishes? So here's a simple, simple way to get flavorful cooked chicken to use in a variety of recipes.

Here's what you need:

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 packet taco seasoning (I use 2 TBSP of my homemade seasoning)
2 cups your favorite salsa (again, I use homemade)

Trim any excess fat from the chicken. Place it in a crockpot. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the chicken, then pour salsa over all. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is very tender.


Remove from the crockpot and shred. Separate into 2-cup portions for future use. Freeze in Ziploc bags or other freezer containers.


This chicken can be used in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas and nachos. It's very versatile and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment