Friday, January 8, 2010

Cheeseburger Soup

Winter is soup weather to me. For years I've stuck to making chili and potato soup. Oh, I'd try a new soup recipe here or there, but I was right back to chili and potato soup. Now, there's nothing wrong with either. But just like any food, the same old stuff can get boring.

So this winter I've branched out a bit. And I'm glad I have. Not only that, I've added the new soups to our menus more often, much to the delight of my husband and kids. I don't even remember the last time I made chili! I think it was when my parents visited in early November! The Princess and Mr. Lego absolutely love Chicken and Rice soup. Actually, it's been more Turkey and Rice soup with both Thanksgiving and Christmas leftovers getting used up. It's so yummy and versatile.

Then along came Cheeseburger Soup. It gives new meaning to yummy! The kids ate this right up. It's great warmed up for lunch the next day too. Charles said if we're ever traveling somewhere in cold weather, we're taking this soup along in a thermos to keep us warm! And then he ate some from a huge mug to show me he meant it.

So here's the yummy recipe.

1 lb ground beef, browned and drained (I left out about 1/4 lb of beef and replaced it with cooked lentils)
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 stalk celery, diced
2 potatoes, diced
1 teas minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 teas parsley
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine these ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Melt 3 TBSP of butter in a pan. Add 1/4 cup of flour and stir until smooth. Gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups milk, making sure there are no lumps.

Stir the milk mixture into the soup. Return the soup to a boil, stirring constantly. Then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese until melted.



This can be made in the crockpot, too. Combine the beef, veggies, broth, water and spices in the crockpot. Cook on low until veggies are tender, about 4 hours. Stir the milk mixture into the crockpot and let thicken for 20-30 minutes. Right before serving, stir in the cheese until melted.

For more tasty recipes, visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays.

8 comments:

  1. I too have my standby soups: Potato, Chicken Noodle, and Chili. Thanks, this sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, sounds great. Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS!!! for the recipe, I like YUMMY!!! soup recipe for cold winters days.
    I have become a follower of your blog, I like the name of your blog. I love to share recipes and ideas, come by and visit maybe you can do the same.
    geri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've looked for a recipe for Cheeseburger Soup, but hadn't really found one that looked quite like what I was wanting, but this one looks really good and easy. I'll be trying it soon. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a recipe for Cheeseburger Soup bookmarked from TOH, but the ingredient list was extremely long and I haven't cooked it yet. I think yours is quite manageable and will be adding it to my "To Try" list as soon as winter gets to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had a recipe from TOH bookmarked for ages but haven't made it because the ingredient list was too long. I'm switching yours for it and will be trying it on a cool day soon.

    ReplyDelete