Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lost in translation?

Every other Sunday I play the piano for junior church and help with the lesson, but this was my week off. So at the dinner table this afternoon I asked the Princess how junior church went.

Her: "Mama, one of the boys went over to the snack machines and I told him not to."

Me: "Were there any grown-ups around?"

Her: "Yeah, but they didn't say anything to him, so I told him again not to go over there."

Me: "Even though he shouldn't have gone over there, you have to let the grown-ups handle it. They're in charge, not you."

At this point I noticed she was studiously eating her meal and not looking at me.

Me: "Did you hear what I said about letting the grown-ups handle things?"

Her: "Yes."

Me: "Really? What did I say?"

Her: "You said that grown ups are bossier and can tell kids what to do."

Charles and I got a big chuckle out of what I said versus what she heard. It's all in the interpretation, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment