Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Goals

Happy New Year! It seems like just yesterday the Y2K panic was in full swing, but here we are, ten years later, celebrating the start of a new year. I rarely make New Year's Resolutions, but this year I am setting some goals. Of course, I want to be a better Christian, a better wife, a better mother. Don't we all? But this year I'm setting some specific goals. Some spiritual, some financial, some personal, some health-related.

1. Read through the Bible. I love to read the historical books in the Old Testament. The prophets can get tedious, though. No matter. This year, I'm reading them all and asking the Lord to show me new insights and lessons. I want to deepen my relationship with Him.

2. Start and keep a family household planner. I've kicked around this idea for awhile, but this year it needs to become a reality. We moved into a bigger house and with all the space comes the need to keep it clean and organized. A cleaning schedule has become a necessity. I'm also going to keep better track of important papers and business cards. A household planner will help me stay organized.

3. Stick to a budget. This one is actually for me and hubby. He set up an expense tracker and it's been eye-opening to see where our money goes. We've started keeping all receipts so we can keep track of those little things that drain our finances. So far, it's working. We don't just run out and buy something because we want it. We weigh the importance of our purchases. Do we really need this or that? Can we make do for another month or year without it? Our Sunday School teacher shared this little tidbit with us - Use it up, wear it out. Make do or do without. So simple but so wise.

4. Plan for a garden. I've already started this one. Last year we had a tiny little garden that didn't do very well. Mainly because we moved and didn't get things planted in time. I'm better prepared this year. I purchased seeds from Nichols Garden Nursery and will start them later this month indoors. I chose Nichols because they are a family-owned business that doesn't use genetically modified seeds.

5. Buy locally. Later this spring, Charles and I want to purchase a side of beef from a local farmer who doesn't use antibiotics or growth hormones. When the local farmers market starts up, I'll purchase fruits and veggies that I haven't grown myself, as well as locally produced raw honey. I'll get up early on Saturday morning to get the best selection. I will get up early on Saturday. I will get up early on Saturday. See how serious I am about this?

6. Drink more water. I rarely drink soft drinks anyway, so this one won't be too hard. I just need to remember to fill the water bottle and keep it handy. I need to drink water even when I'm not thirsty.

7. Make more from scratch. This is a financial and health-related goal. It's been a while since we've bought a takeout pizza. I've started making my own. I have a great granola cereal recipe that I need to make more frequently. I want to make homemade snacks and treats more regularly. I got a tortilla press for Christmas, so I'm on a quest to find the perfect tortilla recipe. I like knowing what is in my food without all the added sweeteners and preservatives.

8. Make time to scrapbook. I don't consider myself to be creative, but I do enjoy scrapbooking. I need an outlet to express myself constructively. I've slacked off for various reasons, but now I have a dedicated craft space as well as a stash of supplies. I don't need to purchase the latest and greatest, I just need to use what I have. (insert hubby's loud AMEN here) I also want to start a monthly scrapbook night with some friends for creativity and fellowship. More girls' nights! Yay!

As this New Year starts, I pray God's blessings on my friends and family. I pray for growth and peace for all. May we all see His mighty hand working in our lives this year.

3 comments:

  1. Too funny, I blogged about #1 too!

    Have you ever shared your granola recipe??? Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals! I am trying to buy more locally as well. I'm also making more food from scratch and have found out that I really enjoy it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping back over to let you know I have something for you at my blog. Come check it out, friend :-)

    ReplyDelete