Saturday, February 6, 2010

Homemade Lemon Pie Filling

I love lemons. Lemonade. Lemon cream. Lemon pudding. I'm a little tart, I guess. Wait a minute....that didn't come out right. I like tartness. That's what I meant.

So I simply adore lemon pie. Not lemon meringue pie. I don't care for meringue and scrape it off if I can. It's okay, because this lemon pie filling is so good, it can stand on its own without meringue. And you probably have the ingredients in your kitchen already.

Here's what you need:

1 1/2 cups sugar
3 TBSP corn starch
3 TBSP flour
Dash of salt
1 1/2 cups hot water
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 TBSP butter, melted
1/3 cup lemon juice (I use the concentrated stuff in the green bottle)

Mix the sugar, corn starch, flour and salt in a saucepan. Slowly add hot water and whisk together, making sure there are no lumps.


Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. When the mixture starts boiling, cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Dip out a small amount of the mixture and stir into the egg yolks. Add the eggs into the saucepan and boil for two more minutes. The mixture will be thick.



Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and lemon juice and mix well. I didn't melt the butter; I just threw it in. And while it melted eventually in the hot mixture, it would have been easier to melt it beforehand.


Let this cool, then use it to make a lemon pie or lemon coffee cake. I'll post the coffee cake recipe soon. Or you could just eat it with a spoon. I mean, you want to taste it before you go any further, right? Just to be sure it's good. You might need another taste for verification purposes, too.

This will keep in the fridge for a couple of days if you aren't going to use it right away. Just be aware that the temptation to eat it might ruin your future pie. You might have to make more.

3 comments:

  1. My oldest son loves lemons too. -He may just turn into a lemon someday! I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! I made this and its lovely. perfectly sweet, but not too sweet, tart but not bitter, delightfully creamy smooth. kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe! thank you for sharing it! made a lemon pie with strawberries topping with it for a friends birthday, they loved it!

    ReplyDelete