Sunday, July 11, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

Ever since I read Angie's post on making black bean burgers, I knew I wanted to try them. Go over to Angie's Healthy Living Blog and take a peek around. She's got some great recipes if you're trying to incorporate meatless meals into your meal planning.

The first time I made them, I followed the recipe closely because I had never made black bean burgers before. They were really, really good. The second time I made them, I played around a bit and liked them even better.

Here's what you need for my version:

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 slices wheat bread, torn into pieces
2 mushrooms, diced
1 stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 teas minced garlic
2 TBSP fresh cilantro
1 egg
1 TBSP minced onion
1 TBSP McCormick's Grill Mates Hamburger Seasoning
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a bowl, mash the black beans. If you want a smooth texture, mash until smooth. If you want a little more hamburger-like texture, leave a few chunks of beans.

In a food processor, chop up the bread crumbs, veggies, and cilantro.


Add to the beans and mix well. In a small bowl, combine the egg, minced onion and seasoning. Here's the Hamburger Seasoning. It gives the burgers a grilled flavor which is amazing.


Add the egg mixture to the bean mixture, then add the cheese. Mix well by hand.


Form into patties (4 large ones) and place on a greased baking sheet. The bean mixture will be very loose, but don't worry. As it bakes, the burgers firm up. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, then carefully flip and bake for another 8-10 minutes.


Top with your favorite burger toppings and enjoy. Charles went all out with his - ketchup, mustard, mayo, tomatoes, pickles. I ate mine with steak sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment