Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cheesy Chicken Lasagna

I found this recipe about a year ago on a blog and filed it away to try someday. Well, someday has come, but now I can't remember whose blog this recipe was posted on! I should have known better than to think I could remember. I can't even remember what I wore yesterday! Ugh!! So ten lashes with a wet lasagna noodle for me for not giving credit where it is due.

Now on to the recipe.

This was such a wonderful change from traditional lasagna. But like regular lasagna, it's even better the next day! Even my picky eater loved it and had seconds.

Here's what you need:

8-10 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
2 cans evaporated milk
1 pkg ranch dressing mix (I make my own, see below)
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

In a saucepan, combine the canned milk and dressing mix. Stir over low heat until the dressing mix is dissolved. Add the chicken and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring often. The mixture should thicken up a bit. You can do this step early in the day if you want to.

To assemble, grease a 9x13 pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with noodles. Layer half the chicken mixture and half the cheeses over the noodles. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. If you like your cheese a little browned and crispy, like I do, go for the longer time. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.



To make your own ranch dressing mix, here's what you need:

1 TBSP dried chives
1 TBSP dried parsley, crushed up
1 TBSP dried dill weed
2 teas onion powder
1 1/2 teas garlic powder
1 teas sea salt
1/2 teas ground black pepper

One tablespoon of this mix equals one envelope of the store bought stuff.

To make ranch dressing, combine 1 TBSP mix with 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup sour cream. Add milk until the dressing is the consistency you want. Store in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds excellent! And thanks for the recipe for the homemade ranch dressing mix - sounds much better than the store-bought version with ingredients I can't pronounce. - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete