Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fiesta Chicken and Rice

This recipe comes from my dear friend Shannon. Back in the mid-nineties when we were both single, Shannon and I used to hang out. She has an extraordinary cooking talent that is still unmatched. Right now she's in Malaysia going through an adoption process that could take months. I know she'd appreciate any prayers you could spare for her and her husband.

Anyway, I knew when she posted this recipe I wanted to try it. But in typical Marsha fashion, I tweaked it a little. And I loved it! So did the family. This one's a keeper!

Here's what you need:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup long grain rice
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 teas dried oregano
1 teas chili powder
dash cayenne pepper
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (I use petite)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cups chicken broth
shredded cheese to sprinkle on after cooking (I use sharp cheddar)

Season the chicken chunks with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken chunks until mostly done.


Scoot the chicken over to one side of the pan and add the rice and onion. Cook and stir until the rice starts to brown. Stir in the garlic and spices until the chicken pieces are coated.


Then add the tomatoes, green pepper and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.


Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Give the entire pot a good stir, then put the lid back on and simmer until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. That will probably take another 10 minutes or so.

You could stir the cheese into the entire pot, or you can do what I did - top individual servings with the cheese. Some children in my family don't like cheese sprinkled on top of anything. Weird, huh?


I was so happy that the kids gobbled this up. I loved that it took only one pot! Yay! And we took the small amount of leftovers the next day and added them to quesadillas. Super yum!

Thank you, sweet Shannon, for the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment