Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spring Morning


Isn't that a lovely bouquet of daffodils? I love how delicate the centers are and the contrast of colors. The Princess picked these from our backyard, and there are tons more! Spring is here!

Spring is also the time for birds to build their nests. See that tiny little wren sitting on my windshield wiper? Sorry for the blurry pic, but I was taking this through my kitchen window.


That little bird and its spouse have been trying desperately to build a nest under the hood of my minivan for the past two weeks. Apparently the space between the hood and the windshield is prime real estate.


Every morning I look out and see them busily stuffing all kinds of debris into their chosen space. And every morning I go out and remove it, leaving the hood of the van up to discourage their building endeavors.


We've tried using a rubber snake on the hood to scare them away. It worked for a day. Then they started pecking its head. So back to clearing out the nest daily and leaving the hood up.

Please note: I love birds and would greatly enjoy having them build a nest elsewhere. But I use my van almost every day and can't stand the thought of harming little tiny eggs should the mama and daddy succeed in setting up residence. So these birds are going to have to find an alternate place to live. What else can we do to encourage them to do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment