Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tasty Meatloaf

I was never a lover of meatloaf growing up. I don't know why. But my husband liked it, so I tried making it. And it turned out okay. I used a very simple recipe that included a packet of onion soup mix, so there was a lot of flavor. Unfortunately, there was a lot of MSG and other unpronounceable ingredients, too!

So I started trying to recreate the flavors of the onion soup mix without the yucky stuff. This recipe is the closest I've come to it.

Here's what you need:

1 small onion, diced
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/3 cup milk
1 teas garlic salt
1/2 teas sea salt
1/2 teas black pepper
1 TBSP worchestershire sauce or steak sauce
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground turkey

For the glaze:
1/3 cup ketchup
2 TBSP mustard
1 TBSP honey

In a skillet, melt about a tablespoon of butter. You can use olive oil instead. Fry the onions until brown and soft. While the onions are frying, mix the egg, breadcrumbs, milk, seasonings and worchestershire sauce in a large bowl. Add the fried onions.


Crumble the ground beef and turkey over the crumb mixture. Using your hands, combine everything until well mixed.


Pat into a greased loaf pan.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Combine the glaze ingredients while the meatloaf bakes.

After 30 minutes, remove from the oven. Using a turkey baster, drain off as much grease as possible. Spread the glaze over the top of the meatloaf and return to the oven for another 30 minutes.


Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from the loaf pan onto a serving plate. I do this by using two spatulas, one at either end.

Use a serrated knife to slice.


It might seem strange to bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes, then put the glaze on top. I do this because I found if I glazed it and left it in the oven for an hour, the fat bubbling up from the meatloaf made the glaze runny and it slid off the top. By draining some of the grease halfway through baking and then glazing, the yummy stuff stays on the top where it belongs!

If your crew doesn't like ketchup or mustard, you can use barbecue sauce or steak sauce as a glaze. It's equally tasty! Customize it to fit your family's preferences.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of meatloaf, either. But this definitely looks like it's worth trying!

    ReplyDelete