Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chicken Shawarma

I love trying exotic foods, especially Indian and Middle Eastern. I'm not a big fan of spicy, though, so I nearly always have to tone down the spices when cooking these cuisines. But this Chicken Shawarma is wonderful. It's got the right amount of curry and other yummy ingredients to make it tangy and delicious.

Here's what you need:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
3 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 teas curry powder
1 teas garlic powder
1/2 teas sea salt
1/2 teas cumin
1/4 teas turmeric

In a bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice and seasonings. Add the chicken chunks and stir well to coat. Allow the chicken to marinate for about 30 minutes.


Heat a little olive oil in a pan until it's very hot and shimmery. Carefully add half the chicken chunks. Watch for oil splatters. Cook on one side for 4-5 minutes, then stir the meat and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes. I like a nice browned crust on my chicken, so I cook just a little longer.


Remove from the pan and keep warm. You might need to add a little more oil before cooking the remaining chicken. The second batch will get a little more crusty brown than the first, which is how I like it.


Serve on flatbread with tzatziki sauce.. If you don't want to make flatbread, you can substitute pita bread. Or you don't have to use any bread at all. My kids eat the chicken all by itself and love it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment