Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Chicken Bacon Subs

I'm not much of a sandwich eater, as in peanut butter and jelly or ham and cheese. But give me a big sub sandwich stuffed with meat and cheese, and I'm all over it! Maybe it's the crusty sandwich buns over regular bread that I really enjoy. Whatever it is, these yummy sub sandwiches will satisfy your family's hunger! And you'll be happy to have a quick, easy-to-prepare meal that's on the table in less than 20 minutes!

Here's what you need:
(adapted from Life as Mom)

2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1/4 cup chopped cooked bacon
1 TBSP ranch dressing mix, scroll down through this post to find my easy recipe
2-3 TBSP chicken broth (add just enough to keep the filling moist but not too drippy)
salt and pepper to taste
sliced mozzarella or provolone cheese (you could shredded if you want)
4-6 sub sandwich buns

In a bowl, combine the chicken, bacon, ranch dressing mix, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
You don't have to do this, but I always line the sub bun with cheese. You could just layer the cheese on top. But I like my sandwiches really cheesy.
Stuff the bun with the chicken mixture, then layer some more cheese on top.
Place on a baking sheet and pop into a 375 degree oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melty and the filling is warmed through.
I love how the bun gets just a little crusty from being in the oven but it's not so dry you can't eat it. The combination of chicken, bacon and cheese is yummy, with the ranch dressing mix adding some great flavor too.


Alternative crockpot cooking method: Place 2-3 chicken breasts in the crockpot. Sprinkle ranch dressing mix and bacon over the top. Add a little chicken broth if you want to. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken shreds easily. If the chicken is too dry, add a little more broth. Serve on buns as directed above.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Bacon is a winner in my house! And we do love sandwiches!
    Thanks for sharing this sandwich recipe!

    ReplyDelete