Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Homemade Chili Mac

Back in the day, I bought a lot of Hamburger Helper. I figured it was quick, cheap and easy. Then I started taking an interest in what we were really eating - all the processed stuff. And the list of ingredients on a box of HH was as long as my arm, it seemed. So out went the boxed dinners.

This version of Chili Mac - one of our favorite HH varieties - is just as quick and easy as the boxed stuff. It's pretty inexpensive, too. Since I almost always have the ingredients on hand, it's a go-to meal for lunch or dinner.

Here's what you need:

2 cups dry elbow macaroni
1 lb ground beef
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 TBSP taco seasoning
1-2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the package and drain. Meanwhile, cook the ground beef and onion together until the meat is no longer pink. Drain.

Stir in the cooked macaroni into the skillet with the beef. Then add the tomato sauce, sour cream, taco seasoning and half the shredded cheese. Stir until well blended. Heat on low until warmed through.

Top the chili mac with the remaining cheese and allow to melt a little.
Homemade chili mac beats the boxed stuff all to pieces!

2 comments:

  1. I stop by your blog often to check out the latest recipe! Thanks for posting such tasty ideas. Oh, Yea for W V pepperoni rolls. My grandchildren love when I make a batch for them! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by! Everyone loves the pepperoni rolls. I'm glad your grandkids do, too!

    ReplyDelete