Monday, December 21, 2009

Breakfast pizza

Pizza is one of my favorite foods. And breakfast pizza is no different. Now, I do not care for eggs. I will not eat them in a house. I will not eat them with a mouse. Fried, scrambled, sunnyside up....I just don't like them.

Most breakfast casseroles are so eggy that they don't appeal to me at all. But oddly enough on this pizza, I can eat them. Maybe because there are only 5 eggs instead of the dozen in most recipes. Maybe the other flavors overwhelm and disguise the egginess. I won't question it, I'll just keep enjoying it. Hope you enjoy it too.

You'll need:
1 pkg crescent rolls
1/2 lb sausage, browned and drained - do this the night before and the rest will be a snap in the morning
1 cup frozen O'Brien hash browns, thawed
1-2 cups shredded cheese
5 eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese

Grease a 9x13 baking pan. Unroll crescent rolls and press into the bottom of the pan, sealing perforations.


Layer the sausage and hash browns. I usually thaw the hash browns by running them under warm water in a colander. Then I press out the excess water and let them drain while I'm unrolling the crescents. If you don't like O'Brien potatoes, you can use shredded has browns instead. I prefer the O'Brien for a little color and flavor.


Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top. I normally use sharp cheddar, but any kind will do. Taco cheese or a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella is also very tasty.


In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and spices until well blended. Pour over the entire pan. It will soak in rather quickly. Then sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over all.


Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until eggs are set and cheese is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.


Now doesn't that look yummy? It's the perfect addition to a breakfast or brunch table. It's one of my favorite breakfast foods to serve overnight guests. In fact, my dad expects this one now when my parents come to visit. And I don't mind fulfilling his expectations since it's so easy.

You can experiement with kinds of cheese or add bacon. Make it your own. Embrace the eggs in this one. They won't overwhelm you.

For more delicious recipes, visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesday over at Blessed with Grace.

4 comments:

  1. I make breakfast for dinner about once a month and pizza every week for the family. I like this idea and can combine the two nights together,
    THANKS!!! for the recipe.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! This sounds absolutely amazing! :D

    Merry CHRISTmas!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tasty! Thanks for the recipe and linking to TMTT. Have a blessed Christmas with your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really does look delicious!

    ReplyDelete