Thursday, December 17, 2009

Make your house smell like Christmas

Oranges are normally on sale this time of year, so I picked some up at the grocery store. After peeling two oranges to accompany our lunch, I threw the peels into a small saucepan of water on the stove. I sprinkled in a little cinnamon and a whole clove or two, then let the pan simmer on the stove all afternoon. Periodically I added a little more water so it wouldn't dry out.

Charles came in the back door and said, "Wow! The house smells like Christmas!" It did, indeed smell very, very good, all warm and citrusy. The cinnamon added just the right spice to the aroma. I think I'll try it with some lemon peels, too.

So put away those aerosol Christmas sprays and simmer some orange peels on the stove instead. Then put the peels down your garbage disposal and freshen it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment