Monday, December 14, 2009

Overnight Sticky Buns


When we have overnight guests, this is a recipe I frequently turn to so I don't have to slave over a hot stove in the morning for breakfast. It's easy to assemble before I go to bed. Then all I do is pop the buns into the oven in the morning and breakfast is ready!

Overnight Sticky Buns

1/2 cup chopped pecans
18 frozen dinner rolls
1 pkg cook and serve butterscotch pudding (NOT instant)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

Grease a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle the pecans all over the bottom of the pan.

Place the frozen rolls in 3 rows of 6. I didn't realize until after I started making these that the rolls I had were Parkerhouse rolls instead of the regular round dinner rolls. Either kind will work.


Sprinkle the pudding mix over and all around the rolls. Vanilla pudding mix will also work in this recipe if you don't have butterscotch. Just be sure you use the cook and serve kind, not instant. The sauce that is created by the pudding mix will not be as gooey if you use the instant.


In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together. Bring to a boil. Pour over the entire pan.


Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and let sit out on the counter overnight. In the morning, your rolls will have risen and will look all squished together like this.


Carefully remove the plastic wrap, trying not to deflate the rolls. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.


Invert the pan onto a large cookie sheet. Doesn't that look deliciously gooey?


When the rolls are cool enough to touch, separate into individual rolls. No doubt you will have some of the caramely mixture on the bottom of the pan. You could be a nice cook and scrape it off onto the rolls. Or you could be like me and just scrape it up and eat it yourself. Just don't wait too long to scrape it off, because it will harden quickly as it cools.

This is a great option for Christmas brunch. It doesn't require any prep work in the morning, so you can enjoy plenty of family time.

This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday over at Blessed with Grace. Head on over there for some more yummy recipes.

3 comments:

  1. That does look very delicous,and pretty easy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY!! The do look wonderful. What a wonderful surprise for your friends and family to wake up to! I can only image how wonderful they smell cooking and taste. Thanks for the recipe and linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK - I am totally making these! I have frozen rolls at home, I just need the pudding. I love breakfast that I don't have to cook in the morning.

    ReplyDelete