Monday, August 22, 2011

Blueberry Cake

I love blueberries. Blueberry muffins. Blueberry pie. Blueberry smoothies. You name it, I like it. But one thing I'd never really tried was blueberry cake. And oh dear, I was missing out! This simple recipe is delicious! My family couldn't get enough of it. It disappeared so quickly, I thought perhaps I just dreamed that I made it and really hadn't! Ha ha!

The Princess helped me mix the cake up and wanted to know why we sprinkled the blueberries on the top instead of adding them to the batter. Well, the blueberries are heavy and will sink. If they're in the batter, they will all go straight to the bottom as they're baking. But if they're on top of the cake, they only sink a little! Great lesson on density, huh?

Now on to the cake. Here's what you'll need:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
1 teas baking powder
1 cup buttermilk * see tip below if you don't have buttermilk*
2 eggs
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture resembles crumbs. Set aside 3/4 cup for the topping.

Now add the baking powder, buttermilk and eggs. Mix until well combined. Spread evenly into a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle the blueberries over the top, then follow with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

The children loved this cake! They even ate it for breakfast. And so did I. It's one of the easiest desserts I've made. Nothing fancy about it, it's just plain scrumptious!

* Tip - if you don't have buttermilk on hand (and I rarely do), simply add one tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a measuring cup. Pour in enough milk to equal one cup and allow to sit for about five minutes. And now you have a perfect buttermilk substitute!

No comments:

Post a Comment