Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Green Chile Cheddar Bread

I saw this recipe at Lazy J Bar C Farm and knew I had to try it. I switched out the jalapenos for mild green chiles because that's what I had on hand and I didn't want the bread to be too spicy for the young'uns. They ended up loving this bread and wanting me to make more! I gave the second loaf to friends, and they loved it, too.

When I saw cornmeal listed as an ingredient, I worried a bit about the texture. No need to worry, though, because the texture was amazing! It was slightly chewy and grainy but still moist. This bread is the perfect accompaniment to soups or stews or any kind of Mexican/Southwest dish. And since it makes two loaves, you can give one away or freeze one for later. One prep, two loaves - yeah, that sounds good to me!

Here's what you need:

1 cup warm water
2 teas yeast
1 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP melted butter or olive oil
3 cups flour (I used half white wheat, half unbleached white)
1 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus a little more for the top of the bread
1/2 of a 4 oz can of mild green chiles, plus one or two more TBSP for the top
1 1/2 teas salt

In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes until frothy. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the topping cheese and chiles) and mix well. With a stand mixer or by hand, knead the dough for 5 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.

Divide the dough into two pieces. Shape into round loaves and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. With a sharp knife, slash an X into the top of each loaf.



Put the extra chiles on top, then cover with the extra cheese. Let the loaves rise for one hour.



Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.






Remove to a wire rack to cool. Then slice and enjoy!


I'm linking this recipe up to Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday. Go on over there and take a look at some more delicious recipes!

2 comments:

  1. Pinned this ..... we have bread quite often and it's nice to try new recipes :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marsha,
    This is a fabulous bread that I can hardly wait to make. We are going to love this recipe. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete