Monday, August 6, 2012

Buck Denver asks...What's in the Bible? review

WITB

Phil Vischer of Veggie Tales fame has created a new set of characters to introduce children to the Bible and what it's all about. Listen to Phil explain.


This first DVD in the series tackles the questions of why the Bible is divided into testaments, why some books are included in the Apocrypha and Septuagint but not the Protestant Bible, and why we can trust the Bible.

As you can see, the characters aren't really like Veggie Tales characters, except for the voices. Still, we enjoyed watching them and learned a great deal. The DVD comes with a code for a digital copy so you can watch it on your tablet or phone. It also included a coloring page. Additional activities are available at the What's in the Bible website.

The DVD was funny with mostly a corny sense of humor similar to Veggie Tales. We liked the silly songs, too. They weren't as catchy as we were used to with Veggie Tales, but still I found myself humming a couple of them later. The characters were engaging, too. We especially liked Clive and Ian and the Sunday School Lady. But while the DVD was entertaining, some parts did drag on. Overall, though, we liked it.

My only beef with it deals with the part about Creation. I firmly believe in a literal, 6-day period of time when God created the Earth and everything else. One of the characters mentioned a big bang and Mr. Vischer explained that there is disagreement among Christians about how long it took God to create and there is no way to know for sure. I was disappointed by that comment. Even the Princess stated that we should just take God at His word. Six days is six days. It was a little ironic to me that a DVD whose purpose it is to get children to trust the Bible as God's Word wouldn't take a firm stance on Creation. Please note, I am not condemning or belittling anyone who holds a differing view on Creation than I do. I just feel very strongly that this an important issue regarding the authority of God's Word and wish Mr. Vischer had taken a stronger stand.

Does that mean I wouldn't recommend or purchase the other DVDs in this series? Absolutely not. I just wanted to caution other believers who might feel as strongly about a young creation position as I do. There are several more DVDs in the series, and my kids are looking forward to watching them.


I was selected for participation in this review and given the What's in the Bible DVD as a member of The Homeschool Lounge Review Team. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

1 comment: