Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lemon Raspberry Muffins

Now that my air conditioning is repaired, I can bake again! Yay! I'm so excited. And so are my children. The Princess requested muffins for breakfast, so we decided on this one.

The sweetness in these muffins comes from the raspberries. The lemon zest and light lemon glaze provide a nice tartness. These can also be frozen for a later time, so double the recipe and stock your freezer.

Here's what you need:

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk - see my note below
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 egg
1 teas vanilla
1 cup white wheat flour (I use King Arthur's brand)
1 cup unbleached white flour (also King Arthur's)
the zest of one lemon
2 teas baking powder
1 teas baking soda
1/4 teas salt
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (do not thaw!) raspberries
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 TBSP lemon juice

In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, buttermilk, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla.






In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Stir into the liquid mixture just until moistened. Be careful not to overmix. Gently fold in the raspberries.



Divide the batter among paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.




Oh, look! These two muffins are kissing!




Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze. Drizzle over the muffins after they've cooled a bit.



I didn't let mine cool long enough, and most of the glaze dribbled off. Learn from my over eagerness and yours will stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment