Thursday, August 30, 2012

Quinoa with Veggies

Since I joined Pinterest, I've seen quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) recipes popping up everywhere. I decided to investigate this grain a little further and found out it's really not a grain, but a seed related to the spinach family. It's very popular with vegetarians because it's considered a complete protein. It's also gluten-free, making it ideal for people with celiac disease. Here's a great article about the health benefits of quinoa if you want to find out more.

My first attempt at making a quinoa dish was a huge hit with the family. I mixed the cooked quinoa with sauteed veggies and spices. So easy!

Here's what you need:

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water or chicken broth
1/2 TBSP garlic powder
1/2 TBSP onion powder
3 cups diced veggies (I used zucchini, mushrooms and carrots)
1 teas sea salt (or to taste)

In a saucepan, combine the quinoa and water or broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in half the garlic powder (this will be 3/4 teas) and half the onion powder (3/4 teas). Reduce heat to a low and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

While the quinoa is cooking, saute the veggies in a little olive oil until soft. Combine the quinoa and veggies, then stir in the remaining garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt.





The quinoa had a slightly nutty flavor. As it cooks, the outer shell slips off, adding a little texture. You can see the tiny little shells in the picture.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with other quinoa recipes, including some breakfast ones. I'll share them when I do.

For more yummy recipes shared by cooks from all over, visit Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage.

2 comments:

  1. There is a really good recipe on the Bob's Red Mill website for Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins. I make these all the time for my kids' breakfasts. They love them and I feel good giving them a complete protein AND pumpkin, which is very nutritious. I also use freshly ground wheat, usuall, so that's even better. Give them a try! They freeze well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marsha,
    Your recipe looks great! Hope you are having a fabulous holiday week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete