Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Deep Dish Skillet Pizza

Domino's Pizza has a new deep dish pan pizza that Charles just loves. They advertise that the toppings go all the way to the edge. But it's $7.99 for a medium pizza, and that's more than I like to spend when my growing children could eat one pizza all by themselves. So I decided to recreate the pizza at home, using my tried and true pizza dough recipe. It turned out wonderfully!

I started by making the dough:

1 cup warm water
1 TBSP yeast
2 teas sugar or honey

Mix these together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast starts to puff up.

Then stir in 2 TBSP olive oil or melted butter.

Then mix in 2 1/2 cups flour (I use half unbleached white and half white wheat) and 1 teas salt.

Using the dough hook, knead for about 5 minutes. Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes. It's much easier to work with this way.

While the dough is resting, get your cast iron skillet prepared. Melt 2 TBSP butter and mix with 1/2 teas garlic powder. Brush along the bottom and sides of the skillet. Use all of it! I used a 12-inch skillet, by the way.

Roll the dough out to a uniform thickness that will fit nicely in the skillet. Place in the skillet and stretch to fit, if necessary. Prick all over with a fork. Then bake at 425 degrees for 8 minutes.

Carefully remove the pan from the oven and cover with your favorite toppings. Go all the way to the edge of the skillet with the sauce, cheese, everything. Bake for another 10 minutes.
Run a knife or spatula around the edges to loosen. With two spatulas, transfer the pizza from the pan to a cutting surface.
See how crispy that is on the sides? It's the same way on the bottom. The yummy garlic butter did that. It's absolutely crucial to use the butter, trust me.

Cut into slices and enjoy!







3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. It's breakfast time and my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I LOVE their new pan pizza, too. If you use that "2 medium pizzas for $5.99 each," it's only $1 more per to make them pan, which makes them $1 cheaper than $7.99. We get it with white sauce and triple cheese, and it was probably the best white pizza I've ever had. Still expensive, though. Now I need to get a cast-iron skillet, so I can make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this may be my December Pizza for my last Year of Pizza challenge.

    ReplyDelete