Monday, January 14, 2013

Baked Lemon Donuts

Right before Christmas I found some donut baking pans on sale at Target. My hubby loves donuts, so I snagged the pans in hopes of providing a healthier alternative to fried donuts.

I found this recipe for Baked Lemon Donuts at Barbara Bakes. It calls for lemon Greek yogurt, which I was unable to find. I looked at three different stores, but no luck. So I had to adapt the recipe slightly. The donuts were still moist and yummy with lots of lemon flavor.

Here's what you need:

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur's white wheat)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teas baking powder
1/2 teas baking soda
1/4 teas sea salt
1 egg
6 oz. plain Greek yogurt
2 TBSP lemon juice
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup buttermilk (plain milk will work)
zest of one lemon

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
juice of one lemon

In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the yogurt, lemon juice, coconut oil, buttermilk and lemon zest. Stir the liquids into the dry ingredients until moistened.

To fill the donut pans, spoon the batter into a Ziploc bag. Snip off one corner of the bag and pipe the batter into the lightly greased pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean.

Combine the powdered sugar with enough lemon juice to make a glaze. Drizzle over the warm donuts.

2 comments: