Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year - and a few goals

Happy New Year!

It's hard to believe 2012 is over and 2013 has begun. I look at the start of a new year as the turning of a page, revealing a blank one to be filled with lots of memories and accomplishments. We will have opportunities to serve God this year in ways we couldn't last year. There's a great deal to look forward to!

This year I'm setting a few important goals. Some are spiritual, some are cooking-related, some are organizational. I'll try to share with you as I meet these goals throughout the year.

1. Cultivate a more meaningful prayer life. Instead of just asking God for things I want or need, I desire to really communicate with Him better. I want to better pray for my family and friends. So many people are hurting and needy. They need prayer warriors to intercede on their behalf. And I want to be a prayer warrior. So I'm going to use this prayer journal and keep my prayers focused.

2. Encourage the shut-ins and elderly of my church. There are many of our members who aren't able to attend services. Our church's radio station broadcasts the Sunday morning service and each service is streamed live on the church's website. But that doesn't provide the personal, human contact that a gathering of believers provides. So I want to send notes and cards once a month to let those saints know I love them and pray for them. I don't want them to think they've been forgotten.

3. Build up a food storage supply for emergencies. This is something the Lord has laid on my heart since April 2011, when my state was hit with devastating tornadoes. Not only are natural disasters a threat, our country's current economy isn't all that great. Thought we're financially okay right now, that can change in an instant. I want our family to be prepared for such events, so I'm going to start building up a stockpile of non-perishables as well as hygiene products and cleaning supplies.

4. Broaden my freezer cooking experience. Last summer I started making extra things for the freezer - pizza crusts, casseroles, snacks, etc. It was so nice to have yummy food available for quick meals. This year I want to set aside a day each month to build up a stock of freezer meals. Maybe I'll even get a friend or two to join me!

5. Reorganize my kitchen. This one needs immediate attention.
Yeah, that's one of my kitchen cabinets. I've been shoving things in there and hoping they don't create an avalanche on the floor! It's kind of embarrassing to share, but hey, I'm just keeping it real. Now is the time to get my act together and straighten it all up.

6. Maintain a cleaning schedule. I've tried this before and always found it overwhelming. I'm going to break up the tasks into smaller chunks and get the children to help now that they're a little older. This house isn't going to clean itself, that's for sure. We're going to have to work together to keep it tidy. Having a schedule to motivate us will help us reach that goal.

So, what about you? Do you set goals for the year, too? If you care to share, leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment