Friday, October 22, 2010

Coconut Curry Chicken

I've wanted to make chicken curry for a while, but my husband doesn't care for curry and neither do my children. The Princess says it's too sour. What? And Mr. Lego thinks it's too spicy. What is wrong with his taste buds?

That's okay. I didn't mind eating leftovers for lunch the next few days! Keep in mind, this recipe is pretty mild and a little sweet. If you like spicy, you can add more curry.

Here's what you need:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
salt and pepper
1 TBSP cooking oil
2 TBSP curry powder, divided
1/2 onion, diced
2 teas minced garlic
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
2 TBSP sugar

Sprinkle the chicken chunks with salt and pepper. Heat the cooking oil and 1 TBSP curry powder in a large skillet for two minutes. By this time, your kitchen will smell great! Stir in the onions and garlic and cook for another minute or two. Add the chicken, tossing lightly to coat with the curry oil. Cook for another 7-8 minutes until chicken is cooked through.


While the chicken is cooking, combine the coconut milk, tomato sauce, sugar and remaining curry powder in a saucepan. Simmer for 20 minutes. Ignore the splashes of sauce on the stove!


Add the chicken to the saucepan and continue simmering for another 30 minutes. The curry sauce should thicken as it cooks.


Serve over hot cooked rice.


This was really, really good. And even better the next day. The flavors deepened and blended so well together. I wanted to lick the bowl when I was done.

Excuse me while I go wipe sauce off my nose! LOL!

1 comment: