Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What's up with the 80's remakes?

Okay, I grew up in the 80's. I have fond memories of movies and TV shows from that era. But lately it seems that Hollywood is obsessed with remaking them. Why? Are there no more stories to tell?

Was Clash of the Titans just that good that it demanded a retelling? I know that new technology has allowed for spectacular special effects, especially when compared to the original. But c'mon.

Other remakes coming to a theater near you include The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Red Dawn, Highlander, and Knight Rider. Ya know, some things are just meant to be remembered for their 80's campiness. What is Red Dawn without the Soviets and Cubans as the enemies? And no one will ever be able to replace Mr. T as BA Baracus in The A-Team.

But Hollywood seems determined to try. All I can say, they'd better not even THINK about touching Remington Steele. I mean it.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you leave the 80's alone! Some of the best movies and shows were in the 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... the remakes are never *quite* the same. You just need to leave well alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh! I LOVE Remington Steele! My husband and I usually prefer the 80's versions to the remakes. We're currently going through the first season of Magnum PI - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally a product of the 80s! 80s music, 80s fads (not anymore), and 80s movies. Karate Kid II is one of my favorites!

    Why can't they just come up with new ideas??? I'm not a big fan of remakes either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! Remington Steele. I haven't seen that in forever. I feel that way about MacGyver, but he was kind of end of the 80's and early '90's. Do't touch Macgyver. Oh, I'd be so mad.

    ReplyDelete